If you are in the market for new windows, doors, or even a complete renovation of your home exteriors, there are some things to consider. A well-designed home exterior can not only increase the value of your home but also give it curb appeal that will impress anyone who sees it. But besides looking good, there are practical reasons why homeowners should pay attention to their home exterior as well. In this blog post we cover some tips on what ways you can improve the safety and security of your home by making simple changes like installing door locks and other security features.
- Ensure your home is well lit.
- Use motion sensor lights to turn on when you enter the area and off when you leave.
- Use timers on lights that you don’t need to keep on all night, like outdoor light fixtures or inside lamps in bedrooms and bathrooms (or even living rooms).
- Have a code that only family members know so they can enter your house safely at night without having to worry about forgetting their keys or locking themselves out of the house accidentally!
Doors and Windows
- Windows and doors should be secure. If you have broken windows, replace them as soon as possible. This will prevent intruders from gaining easy access to your home.
- Doors should be locked at all times, even when it’s just you inside the house. Make sure that there is a good deadbolt on every door leading outside of your property–don’t just rely on locks that open with a key or knob!
- Use a security system if you can afford one (or ask someone who can afford one). If not, consider getting an alarm that goes off when someone opens their car door near yours at night; this could deter thieves from breaking into cars parked in front of houses where they think people are sleeping inside at night while they’re waiting for their owners’ return home after work/school/etcetera…
- Get a peephole installed so that whoever comes knocking doesn’t catch us off guard by showing themselves through our front door before we’ve had time get ourselves together enough mentally prepared beforehand; this way we won’t let ourselves appear vulnerable or lazy towards strangers looking for money instead
- Well-maintained landscaping can reduce the time and cost of maintaining your home.
- The landscape should be appropriate for the climate, including hardy plants that thrive in your area.
- The landscape should be aesthetically pleasing, but also functional–you don’t want to have to spend all your time maintaining it!
- Landscaping should be accessible: make sure there are no obstacles in front or behind your house (such as overgrown shrubs) that would prevent emergency vehicles from getting through if needed. Make sure walkways are wide enough for wheelchairs and strollers, too!
- Finally, keep an eye on all aspects of safety when planning out any improvements around your property–and remember that some things take time before they become effective (like installing fences around pools).
Your front door is the first line of defense for your home and family. Your first priority should be to make sure that it is well lit, has a peephole and that it’s made of strong materials. A good quality front door should have at least one deadbolt lock (ideally two), which provides additional security in case someone attempts to break through the door. If you have an older home, consider replacing your existing entryway with a newer model that includes today’s safety features such as touchpad keypads or fingerprint readers–these can help deter intruders from entering through this point of entry if they don’t know how to bypass them!
Additionally, make sure all windowsills are free from clutter so there isn’t anything around for someone who wants access inside your house; remove any plants or flowerpots that could provide hiding places for someone trying break in through a window; clean up fallen leaves/debris around doors and windows so they aren’t blocked off by anything else either!
Your home is more secure when it is well maintained, professionally designed, and protected by reliable security systems.
- A well-maintained home is more attractive.
- A professionally designed home is more secure.
- A home with reliable security systems is more secure.
We hope this article has given you some helpful tips and ideas on how to make your home more secure. If you’re still looking for more information on the subject, check out our other articles on exterior home maintenance and security systems.